Reflections on My Grandparents 65th Wedding Anniversary

Saturday, November 20, 2010--

My grandmother was brought to tears when she saw the group that had assembled for their surprise 65th Wedding Anniversary gathering at “The Country House” in Colo, IA Saturday evening. A group of 35 children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren had gathered from all across the state to celebrate the blessed occasion. What she may not realize is, I believe the rest of us were holding back tears of our own: tears of joy and pride. I hate to use a sports reference here, but one of the best “proud” speeches I ever heard was Iowa State Football Coach Paul Rhoads’ “I am so proud to be your football coach!” speech after the Cyclones beat Nebraska last year. The video was an instant internet sensation. It was a great speech because it was real, sincere, passionate, and from the heart. Similarly, with real sincerity, and passion, and from the heart, I will say on behalf of the entire Jelsma clan, “We are so proud to be your family!” We are proud that you have stayed true to the vows of marriage—through good times and bad, richer and poorer, in sickness and in health…for 65 years. We are proud that you have been equally faithful as God’s servants at Calvary Baptist Church in Union for over 50 years. Not only have you been faithful, you have been a rock in the foundation of that church; charter members; sticking with the church through good times and bad, richer and poorer, and helping those in sickness and in health…just like a marriage.

At a time when the divorce rate in America is hovering at 50% and the sanctity of marriage seems all but lost, the chance to celebrate 65 years is something to be proud of. I am so thankful for my grandparents, Jim and Connie Jelsma, and the example of faithfulness they have been for all of us—children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. An unknown author once said, “Grandparents are the footsteps to the future generations.” If that's true (and I believe it is), imagine how great a future our country would have if all grandparents were as faithful and wonderful as mine.

“Proud to be your grandson”
Andrew Gogerty

1 comments:

Sabrina Amanda said...

I think I just got a case of the sniffles....

Post a Comment